Frequently Asked Questions
How is coaching different from therapy or consulting?
Professional coaching is a distinct service which focuses on goal setting, outcome creation and personal change management. Coaching facilitates growth and development in pursuit of specific actionable outcomes. These outcomes are linked to personal or professional success. Coaching is forward moving and future focused. Therapy, on the other hand, deals with healing pain, dysfunction and conflict within an individual or a relationship between two or more individuals. Therefore, the focus is often on resolving difficulties arising from the past. Coaching can also be distinguished from consulting in a number of ways. With consulting there is often an assumption that the consultant diagnoses problems and then prescribes and implements solutions. Conversely, with coaching the strategy is that individuals or teams are capable of generating their own solutions, with the coach supplying supportive, discovery-based approaches and frameworks.
Who works with a coach?
Professionals interested in reaching the highest levels of successes benefit from coaching. While changing established behaviors is indeed difficult, it is critical for career advancement. Coaching increases the likelihood that the transformation is strategic and also helps the individual avoid mistakes and accelerate growth during the process. With coaching one develops an actionable plan for advancement instead of relying on gut instinct and trial and error. Those individuals who partner with a coach to receive feedback and support outperform those navigating their careers alone.
What are some reasons to work with a coach?
- Issue at stake (a challenge, stretch goal, or opportunity) and it is urgent, compelling, challenging or all of the above
- One has not identified core strengths and how best to leverage them
- Work and life are out of balance, and this is creating unwanted consequences
- Gap in knowledge, skills, confidence, or resources
- Lack of clarity and there are choices to be made
- Desire to accelerate results
How does a coach do this?
Coaching is delivered through regular sessions by telephone, online and/or in person. A coach helps determine your needs by understanding what you are trying to increase or decrease. A coach works with you to uncover the “gaps” between your present situation and your desired goals.
What is the length of coaching session?
Coaching sessions run approximately 60 minutes.
How long is the initial coaching period?
The benefits of coaching build over time. Therefore, an initial one-on-one coaching engagement is six months.
What should I look for in a coach?
It is recommended that you check references and have a free consultation to check for fit. The right coach should have a track record of helping someone like you accomplish the goals you want. A coach should be able to keep up with you and even anticipate the emerging goals ahead of you while you grow. You should feel motivated to take action and feel energized with a coach.
What happens during coaching?
During your first coaching session a coach will effectively establish the client – coach alliance, understand your roles, organizational factors and personal influences. A coach will then set expectations for working together. A coach will inquire about the nature of the trigger event, challenge or opportunity, explore your hopes and concerns, and clarify expectations about the parameters of the coaching process.
What are examples of issues you have addressed with coaching?
- Mismatch between individual’s way of getting things done and client or co-workers’ preferred approach
- Inability to identify blind spots and understand how they are hindering career growth
- Lack of career development plan, SMART goals, consistent follow-through, and third-party feedback
- Insufficient focus and time dedicated to development of important soft-skills
- Weak emotional intelligence limiting professional potential
- Lack of established best practices or protocols negatively impacting team productivity
- Team dynamic impaired because of miscommunication and tension among team members
How do I get started?
Contact us to arrange for a free, no-obligation consultation to begin this beneficial process.